UPSC Mains Exam Preparation Strategy # 1: General Preparation Plan
- Generally, prelims exam is held between the month of June and August, hence candidates should prepare for both prelims and mains exam till the month of January.
- From February to May, it is advised to focus only on prelims.
- Immediately after prelims, it is recommended to start for Mains Exam preparation with answer writing practice.
This is how one should plan one’s study and manage time accordingly. Yet, at the same time aspirants should also keep in mind that there is no perfect study plan all they have to make sure is that they plan for the right one.
UPSC Mains Exam Preparation Strategy # 2: Answer Writing Practice
You must be aware of the fact that UPSC Mains exam is descriptive type. You have to write 150-300 words answer for each question. Hence, answer writing practice is a must for Mains and this can be achieved through:
- Taking regular tests along with preparing appropriate notes
- Mind Maps – As this will help candidates to link sub-topics in a topic and recall and remember points easily.
It is also advised that while making notes from current affairs, one should try writing around 150-300 words for each topic so that it becomes easy for him/her to write answers in the exam.