Leadership for Academicians Program (LEAP) and Annual Refresher Program In Teaching (ARPIT)
Union Ministry of Human Resource Development has launched two new initiatives LEAP and ARPIT.
Leadership for Academicians Programme (LEAP)
- LEAP is a three weeks Flagship leadership development training programme (2 weeks domestic and one week foreign training) for second level academic functionaries in public funded higher education institutions.
- The main objective is to prepare second tier academic heads who are potentially likely to assume leadership roles in the future.
- The programme would provide senior faculty, with high academic credentials, the required leadership and managerial skills including skills of problem-solving, handling stress, team building work, conflict management.
- It will also focus on developing communication skills, understanding and coping with the complexity and challenges of governance in HEIs, financial & general administration.
- The implementation of LEAP Programme will be through 15 NIRF top ranked Indian Institutions.
- The foreign Universities identified for the training are also within the top 100 in the world global rankings.
Annual Refresher Programme in Teaching (ARPIT)
- ARPIT is a major and unique initiative of online professional development of 15 lakh higher education faculty using the MOOCs platform SWAYAM.
- For implementing ARPIT, 75 discipline-specific institutions have been identified and notified as National Resource Centres (NRCs) in the first phase.
- They are tasked to prepare online training material with focus on latest developments in the discipline, new & emerging trends, pedagogical improvements and methodologies for transacting revised curriculum.
- The course is a 40 hour module with 20 hours of video content and 20 hours of non-video content. They are offered in a highly flexible format and can be done at one’s own pace and time.
- There are built-in assessment exercises and activities as part of the academic progression in the course.
- At the end of the course, there will be a terminal assessment which can be either online or a written examination.
- All faculties who have successfully completed the online refresher course will be certified.
Global Digital Content Market 2018
Global Digital Content Market (GDCM) 2018
- The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP is hosting a conference on Global Digital Content Market (GDCM) 2018 in New Delhi.
- The conference will feature sessions on music, film, broadcasting and publishing, as well as collective management, emerging models and the implications for the market and policy makers.
- India has been chosen as a host nation for the conference by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) due to the strong creative industry in the country in films, music and media.
- The focus for this year’s conference is the Asia Pacific region.
Aim and Objectives
- GDCM is a platform to discuss vital issues and enhance development of the digital and IP generating industries such as publishing, films, music, and gaming all of which are major contributors to the Indian GDP.
- The aim of GDCM 2018 is to give industry stakeholders a platform to come together and discuss new avenues in the films, music, gaming and creative industry.
- It shall also discuss points of challenge that is presented due to the changing creative landscape because of the disruption brought about by digital technologies.
Digital Content Copyrights and India
- GDCM 2018 is the second edition of the conference. The first conference was held in Geneva 2016.
- It is organised by World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Geneva.
- The aim of GDCM is to ensure that a creative artist continues to be protected and receives better remuneration on the digital platform.
- India has recently approved accession to the WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT) and WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT) that has increased the coverage of protection of copyrights in the international IP regime.
- This will bring the Indian creative industry under and international copyright system, secure distribution of their work and provide them with a level playing field.
- India’s rank in the Global Innovation Index 2018 has improved by 24 places from that of 2015 and now ranks 57th.
- India is the top-ranked economy in Central and Southern Asia and has now outperformed on innovation relative to its GDP per capita for seven years in a row.
2nd Startup India Investment Seminar in Beijing
2nd Startup India Investment Seminar
- Embassy of India in China in partnership with Startup India Association (SIA) and Venture Gurukool organized 2nd Startup India Investment Seminar in Beijing for fostering innovation and entrepreneurship among Indian youth.
- The event was planned to expose Chinese VCs and investors to the promising Indian startups and also help Indian startups to reach out to the large Chinese investors for receiving investment for their companies.
- Forty-two Indian entrepreneurs representing 20 Indian startups participated in the event and pitched before Chinese investors to make investments in their ventures.
- More than 350 Chinese Venture Capital (VC) funds, angel investors participated in a day long pitching session and seminar.
- A panel discussion was also organised to discuss effective strategy for Chinese VCs to enter the Indian startup market and share their experiences about the Indian startup ecosystem.
- A venture capitalist is an investor who either provides capital to startup ventures or supports small companies that wish to expand but does not have access to equities markets.
- Venture capitalists are willing to invest in such companies because they can earn a massive return on their investments if these companies are a success.
An angel investor is an affluent individual who provides capital for a business start-up, usually in exchange for convertible debt or ownership equity.
A small but increasing number of angel investors invest online through equity crowdfunding or organize themselves into angel groups or angel networks to share research and pool their investment capital, as well as to provide advice to their portfolio companies.